Thursday, May 11, 2006

Quick Update

I should be able to post some updated pictures or even (gasp) an actual written update shortly and...internet willing!

I am currently in Des Moines, Iowa packing my stuff up for the trip to Springfield, IL today...we are in the middle of the first of three split weeks...so I will probably be spending the majority of my freetime sleeping!

It shouldn't surprise me...but I guess it DOES still fascinate me, on Sunday we were playing in Rosemont (right outside O'Hare airport near Chicago)...our show went down around 6PM...we had an awesome load-out (2:15 or so) and I was on the road by 8:25PM...I crossed into Iowa by 11PM and was at the hotel around 1:15AM...long day. The part that fascintaes me is that in just a little over 24 hours we tore our show apart, packed it up and loaded it into the trucks...transported it around 350 miles away...and have it set up and is ready to go again. I'm sure that people who do one-offs (one show in a city and then on to the next city) would say....yeah, so?...but every once in a while it makes you sit down, look around and say...huh!

This is turning out to be a longer post than the "Sorry I haven't updated in a while and I promise to soon" that I was intending it to be...but I do have to stop shortly.

Before I go...Rosemont was the city that the head of C&C (Costumes & Creatures) and a representative of Sesame Workshop came out to see the show and go through the costumes...part to see how we are doing on the road, but mostly to see what needs to be done to the costumes before the show goes out on the road again...and this show has a two week turn around time before it heads out again! They go through and note every costume piece to see if it's just a general refurbishment to spruce up the costume for the next tour or if there are some major repairs or adjustments that they need to do...also, if it's something that we can or should have been doing...we get notes on it to fix before the end of tour (in our case 5 weeks)...sometimes there are pages and pages of notes that wardrobe has to accomplish before the end of tour...last year David and Chris (with my help of course) did a marvelous job maintaining the costumes and we didn't have much to do after we were visited in Portland. Last year Danielle (my Wardrobe Head) said that they had two pages of notes for their tour...this year we had 6...not pages, but notes...only 6 things to take care of...way to go Dani! Not that we can "relax"...but nothing much other than what we've been doing so far!

OK...gotta go...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Though the Iowa landscape is captivating, good to see that there are no pictures of the cornfields posted. Glad to see everything is going well for you. Some Iowa wisdom for you: "If you build it, he will come"

Bill the younger

Anonymous said...

ok- WOW -- you now write like one of my voicemail messages (quit shaking your head up& down-thffpt!)...
that is fantastic!!!...just 6 things...now next time when I get to see the 'behind the scenes' it will even make more sense to me...but based on your explanations...I'm sure you're happy!...
so?...is it 2, 4 or 6 weeks?
..inquiring minds & baseball games...you know what I mean...take care & be safe jo