Monday, April 11, 2005

New Orleans

After that long night in Lafayette we had a day trip to New Orleans that was leaving at 9:30am…since my eyes did not want to open so early in the morning, I was able to hitch a ride down to N’awlins with Keith who was leaving at 2:00 PM…which was a bit more palatable. So I rode down with Keith, Casey and Seth (one of our Professor Arts) and we got there around 3PM…unfortunately Keith wanted to leave around 7PM…four hours in New Orleans? NO WAY! So I called Rebecca to see if I could get a ride back to Baton Rouge…since I was supposed to have gone down with that group…I got a call back from Rebecca saying that there was indeed room for me in the first van. So, I acted as a bit of a tourist guide (me? In New Orleans? Never…) for Seth…we started by going to Jackson Square and then had lunch and drinks at Pat O’Brien’s afterwards we took a little walk down Bourbon Street and stopped a couple of times to listen to some music (one was a traditional Jazz band and the other was a rock band which had a lead singer that kind of looked like a worn out Brian Setzer) and of course also proceeded to have a few beers and a frozen drink or two…I had a Jester…touted to be the strongest drink on Bourbon Street and was feeling pretty good for a good while after. We went shopping and looked at some art and then made our way over to the world famous Café Du Monde for café au lait and beneigts (how Do you spell that?)…I then got together at Pat O’Brien’s with Rebecca, Andy, Dani and Kevin after letting Keith know that I wasn’t joining them for the ride back. We then enjoyed the city while waiting for the Vampire tour to start. We had a fun time walking around the French Quarter and hearing stories about some of the buildings. Speaking of which…there’s a pretty gruesome story about the building that was diagonally across the street from the restaurant where Uncle Bill ended up with the shrimp tail in his coffee. During the tour we stopped for a drink and potty break…I got a frozen drink called the Vampire…of course. A side note about my attire…I was wearing shorts and a button down short sleeve shirt...and while it was fine during the daylight hours, it did get a bit chilly at night…which is why I needed to make sure that that I well stocked in an alcoholic anti-freeze. After the vampire tour was over I stopped for a quick take out order at the Café Du Monde and then made our way to the van for the trip back to Baton Rouge. After a quick potty stop before getting to the van we found out that not only was I looking for a ride back but also Casey who came down with me in the other van was looking for a ride home as well…and he had talked to someone else in the van about having a ride back. Luckily the van had a big luggage area so I rode back there and was even able to stretch out a bit and take a nap.

No comments: